This, we’re afraid, is the dullest part of our website and our program, but is all the same the most important part. This contains our promise to you.
The Goals of The Glowing Stone Go Event Management and Outreach Program
- To spread awareness of the game of Go.
- To support the Canadian Go Association
- To help teach “respectful communication” and sportsmanship:
- To use the game of Go to help people make healthy life choices – Go as a metaphor for mental well-being.
- To help teach the application of the language of Go to day-to-day living
- To promote the well-being of the individual within the community – it is difficult to play Go alone and still progress. It is important to play against others to gain strength.
- To teach Go as a form of self-discipline.
- To enhance the scope of Go within the community:
- Within primary and secondary schools;
- Within universities;
- To bring Go outreach to senior citizens;
- To provide Go events to conventions.
Secondary Goals Within THE GLOWING STONE Mandate
- It is less important to make money than to teach Go.
- Go promotions as a means of income beyond teaching:
- To be able to provide a local location for the public to play Go.
It is not an immediate goal – but it is a goal that is in our “Top 10” to complete – to establish a firm location for The Glowing Stone. This could mean greater expense to the program and would require a greater expenditure from the Go-playing public. This would require a greater financial momentum (and personal energy reserve!) than the staff and volunteers of The Glowing Stone currently have. The Glowing Stone is meant to be a casual organization – for now – and is in no way intended or geared toward a mercenary means of financial gain.